Sanger golf tournament tees up for a good cause

Second annual charity event will benefit children with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, a birth defect that affects the heart

Golf Stick and Golf Ball on Stand on Green Field. Green Grass. Sport in Summer Concept. Outdoor Fun Concept. White Ball. Sunny Day. Sport on Field Concept. Little Ball. Steel Golf Stick.
Darren Fraser
Published April 22, 2024  • 
10:00 am

SANGER – Golfers can drive, pitch and putt for a good cause this upcoming month as they compete in the second annual Hudson’s HLHS Half Baked Heart Golf Tournament.

The tournament, being held at the Sherwood Forest Golf Club in Sanger on May 5, is raising money for families whose children are undergoing treatment for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS), an in utero condition – or birth defect – where the left side of the heart fails to develop.

The tournament is named after a nonprofit that was created to help support the Boone family of Sanger. Their son, Hudson, was born with HLHS in 2022.

The outlook for children with HLHS is not great. Treatment involves either a heart transplant or surgeries to restore the function of the heart. A myriad of complications can arise from treatment, reducing the probability patients will survive it. Without medical intervention, most patients do not live long after birth. Those who do receive treatment have a 20% to 60% chance of surviving their first year. Survival rates after the first year drop by 40%.

Hudson’s mother, Christina, recognized the toll HLHS can take on patients and their families. This awareness led to the creation of the nonprofit. There are significant financial costs associated with the treatment of the condition. Half Baked Heart provides various types of assistance for families whose children are in treatment. In addition to financial assistance, the nonprofit provides specialized clothing, meal gift cards and other assistance.

Hudson’s HLHS Half Baked Heart mission is “to support patients with HLHS along with their families by easing the financial burden and ensuring these families are not alone in this fight.”

According to the tournament flier, registration is $150 per person. This covers green fees, a cart, a bucket of balls for the driving range and breakfast and lunch.

The tournament has a scramble and shotgun start at 8 a.m. Awards will be given for longest drive and closest to the pin.

The deadline to sponsor a tee sign has passed, but other sponsorships are available. The deadline to register or to sponsor is April 21. For more information, send an email to hudsonshlhsheart@gmail.com.

Darren Fraser
Reporter